Founded in 1668, Merck holds the record of being the oldest pharmaceutical company in the world and it has been active in the Philippines since 1977. Merck’s research and vision have led to the path of innovation in the field of fertility, changing the lives of many couples and contributing birth in many countries worldwide.
In a crowded country like ours, the Philippines, it can’t be helped that 1 out of 10 couples may suffer from infertility. For some Filipino couples, dreams of having and raising a baby together are one of the few beautiful things that could happen to them. However they are dashed by fertility issues which is recognized as a “disease” according to WHO. WHO (World Health Organization) describes infertility as “a disease of the reproductive system defined by the failure to achieve a clinical pregnancy after 12months or more of regular unprotected sexual intercourse.”
Now thanks to Merck and IVF Davao, these dreams won’t be just dreams anymore. Having baby is as easy as making them! Although finances may matter but Merck and IVF Davao made sure that the expenses are of reasonable price. According to Dr. Ma. Lourdes Cabling, President of IVF Davao, “The process is easy, it’s simple, the technology is available, and most of all, we’ve made it much more affordable for our fellow Filipinos”.
So before introducing the process on how to become a parent, let us first define In Vitro Fertilization. In Vitro Fertilization is a complex series of procedures to treat fertility, it is a process outside of the body where the egg is fertilized then introduced back to the mother’s womb for conception.
Infertility has two types, primary and secondary. The primary type of infertility is the inability to conceive after 12months or more of unprotected intercourse. The secondary type would be infertility in a couple following a previous pregnancy. The prevalence rate of infertility is 9% or 80million couples worldwide are affected.
Causes and Investigation:
- Abnormal sperm production and delivery
- Environmental factors such as: cigarette smoking, alchohol, marijuana and frequent heat exposure (eg. sauna)
- Medical problems such as: hypertension(HTN) and diabetes.
Method of evaluation (Male):
- Semen Analysis
- Polycystic ovary syndrome and premature ovarian failure. Fertility declines as the woman ages because of the degrading quality of their oocytes.
- Excess body fat or too little body fat can affect ovulation.
- Tubal factors:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Prior surgery
- Uterine factor:
- Congenital anomalies
- Intrauterine adhesions
Method of evaluation (Female):
- Ovarian reserve test (Age, Day 3 FSH and estradiol, Antral follicle count, AMH)
- Reproductive History
- Ultrasound (HSSG)/HyCoSy
- Laparoscopy with chromotubation (Gold standard; Costly and invasive; Assoc. with accidental injury to intestine, bladder and pelvic vessels)
- HSG – Ragiographic visualization of the uterine cavity and fallopian tubes
- TVS and SIS
- Hysteroscopy (Gold standard for both diagnosis and treatment of intrauterine pathology)
- Ovulation induction – the technique that uses fertility medications to stimulate the development of eggs from the ovary. (Use of Clomiphene citrate, Ietrozole, FSH injections)
- Intrauterine insemination – a medical procedure that involves placing sperm into a woman’s uterus during ovulation.
- Surgery – invasive procedures such as the repair of blocked tubes, removal of myoma, ovarian drilling(may be an option).
It is a corporation composed of subspecialists: reproductive medicine, urologists, sonologist, anesthesiologists, endoscopist and a corporation of OB-Gyne (FCCDI).
In-Vitro Fertilization Davao Inc
is located at BWC Bldg. Brokenshire Hospital, Madapo Hills, Davao City Philippines.
Tel. nos.: (+63) 82 305 1163/ 305 3521
Mobile nos.: 0927 201 9568/ 0923 591 4713
Email Address: email@example.com
To know more about In-vitro fertilization in the Philippines, Merck Philippines together with IVF Davao will held a Patient’s Forum this October 29, 2016, 8am at Ballroom B, Marco Polo Hotel Davao. Get this chance to discover more about infertility and the process of In-vitro fertilization! There will be free admission and consultation.